Technical Writer, EE , Technical Information Development for Engineers (TIDE)
Amazon’s Engineering Excellence (EE) program drives adoption of new technical and leadership skills into Amazon’s engineering community. We provide Amazon engineers and leaders the information they need to build products and services that delight customers. This role is an opportunity to join a fast-paced global team driven to deliver innovative learner-centered content for engineers at Amazon.
As a Technical Writer on our Technical Information for Developers (TIDE) program, you will support and closely collaborate with our Product and Program managers to create internal training for our technical employees. You will own the information architecture and documentation standards for our training. You will help produce and ensure that our training is relevant, up-to-date, accurate and easy to find. Your success will enable our customers to learn which training solutions best address their needs, which will ultimately help them be successful at Amazon. We value an inclusive team culture, work-life balance, and career growth. We'd love for you to join us.
The right person for this role will:
- Have skills in technical communication, information architecture, and style guides.
- Work closely with technical employees of all levels who will act as subject matter experts (SMEs) to design, develop, and maintain technical learning content for technical job families within Amazon.
- Work with teammates to assess training needs through surveys and interviews to determine performance gaps and identify additional training opportunities for our customers.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment to deliver learning content on rapidly changing technologies.
- Have strong project management and communication skills so that stakeholders, teammates and leadership understand timelines and milestones.
Key job responsibilities
- Manage the information architecture for primary training hubs.
- Write and edit training materials and other technical content.
- Manage and apply editorial style guidance to all of the team documentation.
- Help define writing projects and determine priorities.
- Optimize training for internal search optimization.
- Collaborate with Product Manager and Analytics team to develop customer insights.
- Edit topics written by team members and other subject matter experts.
About the team
- Inclusive culture: Join a fun team that prides itself on a great work environment, with people that love working together.
- Impact: Our programs impact the day-to-day work of tens of thousands of Amazon engineers.
- Work / Life Harmony: We value work-life harmony. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life.
- Have fun: Work with a highly talented, invested team of product and program managers that like to solve complex problems and enjoy working together.
- Bachelor's degree, technical writing, or related field, or comparable job experience.
- Exceptional writing, editing, collaboration, and communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- Experience working in a CMS platform.
- Experience working in XWiki
- Proven ability to deliver projects from inception to maintenance.
- Experience designing a scalable and sustainable Information Architecture
- Able to work with multiple collaborators, stakeholders, and senior SMEs with limited time
- Five years of experience as a technical writer in the software field.
- Previous work on a distributed global team.
- Detail-oriented, yet able to identify what truly matters.
- Strong bias for action and a "get it done" attitude.
- Experience creating customer-facing content for a software development audience
- Proven ability to anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance competing constraints.
- Proven ability to plan and manage multiple parallel projects.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Interested? Apply for this role