The Senior Digital Content Editor (SrDCE) is a key role within the AKC digital marketing group and within the overall marketing group. This person will work with various departments to own, plan, execute, analyze, and improve AKC content creation and strategy. The person in the role must not only be an expert in content creation and content marketing best practices but also have expert content strategy acumen to oversee the execution of department content marketing campaigns. This role will also oversee content strategy for AKC's commerce content offerings and must have expertise in how to create compelling commerce content. The main mission of the AKC content group is to ensure that our audiences have excellent interaction with AKC so they understand the expertise, authority, and overall mission of the AKC and its programs and services.
*This is a hybrid position with a combination of remote and in-office work schedules.
Primary Job Duties
- Manage and mentor Digital Content Editor's overall workload, daily production, and quality control, and oversee independent contract writers/editors
- Oversee content marketing strategy as it relates to all AKC marketing campaigns and programs, including commerce content
- Research, brainstorm, and pitch content ideas that align with audience interest, brand priorities, and AKC mission
- Create, assign, curate, and edit high-quality content in the right storytelling formats – written, video, photo, audio, etc
- Produce and publish quality-checked content in CMS
- Ownership of style guide and enforcement of content best practices including tone, voice, style guide, SEO, fact-checking, and photography standards
- Ownership of daily editorial calendar and ownership of content tracking
- Drive content creation decisions through review and analysis of content performance and metrics
- Collaborate with and support cross-functional teams--including PR, AKC.tv, sports & events, and government relations--on ongoing initiatives and projects
- Stay up to date with evolving trends in digital storytelling and ways to incorporate them into the AKC's content strategy
Required Skills, Specialized Knowledge and Competency Requirements
- Comfortable with managing a full-time employee and mentoring that employee in digital content creation, as well as managing that employee's workload and time management
- Mastery of fundamentals and application of AP Style
- Mastery of SEO content strategy fundamentals
- Experience with WordPress or similar CMS platforms
- Experience with navigating Google Analytics, pulling basic reporting, and formulating insights from the data
- Experience with dog sports exhibitors and a deep understanding of the AKC mission, products, and programs is a plus
- Experience with Skyword or similar content management platforms a plus
- Experience with Sprout Social or similar social media management platforms is a plus
- Occasional travel to AKC Events and weekend work for AKC events
The salary range for this position in New York City is $70,000-75,000/year; however, the salary offered may vary depending on skills, experience, job-related knowledge, and location.
- Bachelor or better in Marketing or related field.