- Requisition ID: 238386
- Requisition Posting End Date: 09/16/2021
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
Plans, staffs, and coordinates as necessary to provide overall professional publications support to include developing Enterprise Project Management Organizational documents with technical content provided by other subject matter experts Using demonstrated leadership skills, distributes, coordinates, and effectively monitors work assignments. Prepares estimates and manages costs and schedules. Maintains and improves standards among Technical Publications staff.
A. Supervision Received
- Receives minimal operational direction from responsible supervisor.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Provides operational direction and functional guidance to Technical Publications staff. May act as lead on a very large or specialized assignment.
- May supervise or provide operational direction and functional guidance to other document production groups.
- Internal customers
- Technical editing, graphics, and document formatting staff; Project Document Control/Records Management, and Reprographics departments
- Entities outside the immediate organization (vendors, other publication groups)
- Managers of other internal organizations in planning and executing publications projects.
- Directs the activities of technical publications staff. Establishes priorities and monitors work to ensure that all documents conform to established standards, procedures, budgets, and schedules. Coordinates editorial, graphics, and document formatting resources, and, if necessary, outside support.
- Reviews document requirements (including budget and schedule) with customers. Oversees coordination of document formatting, graphic design, reprographics, and any additional editorial support.
- Develops new methods for improved Technical Publications service.
- Coordinates schedules between production teams such as Technical Publications, Reprographics, and vendors.
- Interviews and recommends hiring, terminations, transfers, and salary actions of technical editing staff. Prepares employee evaluations and participates in ranking process. May initiate salary action. Provides training for editorial group.
- Manages editorial group’s budget, forewarns appropriate individuals of problems, and makes suggestions to management. Prepares or reviews and approves cost estimates, as requested.
- Periodically reviews work of other staff and will edit or write documents and other print and electronic deliverables.
- Establishes work standards and procedures. Oversees maintenance of document and resource files. Responsible for the published and maintained project style guide.
- Performs special tasks as directed by supervisor such a preparing training material based on developed document content, etc.
- Conducts necessary research to support document production or communications project.
- Responsible for overall safety requirements as identified by project/department team.
- Responsible for personnel activities and administration, which may include the following for the Technical Publications group: interviewing and hiring activities, terminations, transfers, and salary actions; preparation of employee evaluations and participation in ranking process; and provision of training.
- Coordinate document review, approval cycle and Coordinate document review, approval cycle and publication in the Enterprise Content Management System (ECMS).
- Technical writing and editing skills normally acquired through specialized education/training in English, journalism, or communications and developed through professional experience.
- Thorough knowledge of grammatical rules, spelling, composition, and style.
- Ability to perform substantive edits, conduct research, write original text, and coordinate production of deliverables.
- In-depth knowledge of vocabulary of the relevant technical disciplines.
- Online editing and desktop publishing capability.
- Proficiency with standard document formatting/editing/production and desktop publishing software, including incorporating electronic comments, importing graphic files, formatting tables, and developing and applying templates.
- Knowledge of standard editing/proofreading marks.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current production methods and techniques, including graphics, word processing, and photographic processes.
- Understanding of budget and schedule development processes; experience with cost estimating.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Professional customer relations skills.
- Provides effective leadership and supervision to direct reports; demonstrates excellent communication skills in interaction with customers, production staff, and other organizations.
- May participate in Six Sigma process improvement activities.
- Continually demonstrates sustained commitment to Bechtel’s “Zero Accidents” policy and support for Bechtel’s safety program through personal safe behavior/work practices, following all safety rules and procedures and reporting unsafe work practices/situations.
Coordinates highly complex or specialized jobs independently. Complexity is determined by technical terminology, length, scope, production methods, and client direction. Conducts research and incorporates information for development of complex documents and other deliverables. Directs a technical editing group that serves a diverse group of customers and their clients. Minimum of 10 years of related experience and consistent good performance.
Directs a large central technical editing group that serves a diverse group of customers and their clients. Assists management in defining the scope and style of publications requirements for customers and recommends approaches to meet these requirements. Minimum of 15 years of related experience and consistent good performance.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live. www.bechtel.com
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.