What’s Bench? Check us out on Medium, Betakit, Financial Post, our Instagram, and our Life at Bench Blog.
We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
At Bench, our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. We are doing this by delivering disruptively affordable and simple accounting services for small businesses. We’ve created a brand and service that is truly unique in the market, matching exceptional customer service with efficiency and scalability.
It may be hard to believe that a humble, online bookkeeping service could change lives, but the reactions we have from the entrepreneurs we serve—from tears of relief, emphatic thanks, major press and accolades, and even marriage proposals—suggest that we are, one entrepreneur at a time.
Bench is growing fast. Recently, we’ve onboarded our 13 000th client and our 600th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of helping every business owner thrive.
What we are looking for:
You are an experienced content marketer, adept at and excited by the opportunity to build content that educates and informs hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs every month. You are a curious person, driven to explore the ways that content marketing has and will change. You love to write and edit, and you are an exceptional communicator.
As a content strategist, you will create and execute the content strategy across multiple formats and publications, including the Bench Blog (receiving half a million unique visitors per month), the blog strategy, publication schedule, content production, resources, YouTube, and webinars. Unleash your creativity when creating content, then measure, analyze, and report its performance to make sure it hit your goals and enables cross-functional teams. Working under the Head of Brand & Content and alongside SEO, social media and growth marketers, you will drive the growth of our inbound marketing channel.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Build and oversee the execution of the content strategy across multiple platforms and content types, including but not limited to blogs, downloadable tools, YouTube, social media content, newsletters, and webinars.
- Ensure all content published maintains a high standard of quality and attracts the right audiences that align with our ideal customer profile.
- Maintain editorial consistency throughout all publications, including high-quality, error-free, accurate, and easily digestible content that is aligned with Bench’s voice and tone.
- Edit materials through their various stages from briefs to publication.
- Manage the accuracy and completeness of the content, including maintenance of timely and factual information.
- Develop innovative ideas for creating and distributing content, advocate for your ideas, experiment and make strategic recommendations based on results.
- Manage a team of freelance writers, and work with external agencies to produce content.
Analytics and reporting:
- Use analytics tools to understand trends in performance and make changes accordingly.
Who are you?:
- A great storyteller - You know how to tell strong, compelling and engaging stories, no matter the subject matter.
- Audience-driven - You know who your audience is, how to speak to their unique pain points, what they want to hear from you, and how to tailor messages for different channels.
- Exceptional writer and editor - You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to provide constructive feedback.
- Detail-oriented - You have high attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- A self-starter - You have strong critical thinking skills and the ability to self-manage your work to stay aligned with the team’s goals.
- Creative and innovative - You have a love for flexing your creative side and thinking outside the box to find ways to improve a piece of content.
- Results driven - You have a results-oriented working style and previous experience having your work measured against personal or team performance metrics.
- Education - Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Business Administration, Public Relations, International Relations, Marketing, Psychology, or a related field.
- Minimum experience - 3 years managing a content production team, and 5 years writing and editing web content for an organization.
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- Demonstrated knowledge of SEO best practices and writing for the web.
- Experience managing a publication.
- Experience creating video content.
What is in it for you + the extra details:
- Full ownership of the Bench Blog - our biggest channel, with over 20 million unique visitors over the past two years - a huge channel to grow and innovate through.
- You’ll report to a supportive leader and advocate, who will help you to grow and thrive in your career.
- You'll have the opportunity of a lifetime to truly make a difference in the lives of entrepreneurs.
- At Bench, we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary range for this role is $88,640 - $110,800 per year, depending on experience. In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, unlimited paid flex days, stock options, and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get unlimited access to Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service, and access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental well-being.
- Bench has a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- Bench is a fully remote company. We are looking at alternative solutions to bring teams together for collaboration and connection.
- We currently focus our hiring efforts in the following provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
- You'll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund, to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
- You will also have the opportunity to work internationally for up to 90 days per calendar year.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.