What you’ll be doing:
We’re looking to change the world by building software with a soul, and we want your help.
The Content Strategist II structures content to meet user needs and develops processes to govern how it is produced and managed throughout its lifecycle. They contribute to design governance, workflows, and taxonomies in a user-centered context. They are responsible for establishing an organization’s editorial voice and determining content needs, channel selection, and distribution. They collaborate with senior stakeholders, Designers, Engineers, Scrum Masters, and Product Owners to develop and implement a content strategy, specializing in developing a content strategy based on an organization's or business's objectives and a customer’s or end user’s needs.
What you should know:
- In-person, hybrid and remote options are available. Our offices are located in Baltimore and Montgomery.
- To protect our Fearless community, and in consideration of the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health. Administration (OSHA), and a variety of public health authorities, Fearless is implementing a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for our full workforce. This vaccine mandate will help keep our people and our community safe through this ongoing health crisis.
- All new employees must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by the date of hire to be considered for the position. Reasonable accommodations for qualified exemption requests will be considered
We need your Content Strategy skills! What other skills will help you succeed at Fearless? Glad you asked! We’re excited about candidates who can accomplish the following:
Responsibilities and Contributions:
- Independently executes and implements solutions with minimal direction from more senior Content Strategists, Designers or team leaders.
- Coaches and mentors others to develop their professional skills and improve the quality of their work.
- Strengthens Fearless’ content strategy community and fosters positive collaboration across the company.
- Navigates complex organizational relationships and aligns stakeholders to influence content goals, strategies, and governance.
- Works with cross-functional teams to establish and articulate internal and external key messages, and ensure that content is structured accordingly.
- Collaborates with Designers, Engineers, Scrum Masters, and Product Owners to bridge the functional and creative needs of content to tell effective stories aligned with business goals.
- Collaborates with functional leads to implement governance, processes, and workflows based on delivering strategy and policy intent.
- Plans and conducts interviews, contextual inquiry, workshops, and analytics research to define the needs of stakeholders and users.
- Conducts content audits, comparative analyses, content modeling, and other methods for informing and planning content design.
- Creates and implements qualitative assessments of the content against various criteria, including business requirements, user needs, and style and brand guidelines.
- Develops a solid understanding of the target audience through online and traditional market research.
- Implements content gap analyses to determine what type of content is missing and what is needed.
- Creates and iterates content for end-to-end services.
- Shapes and structures the architecture of content based on user-centered design principles.
- Delivers content that meets the needs of people accessing government services.
- Supports development of content deliverables including copywriting, editing and design of visual storytelling elements.
- Designs content that is technically fit for purpose across different content management systems (CMS) and platform needs.
- Establishes standards and style guides that specify the writing style and tone needed to create engaging content.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Competencies:
- Ability to effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, content goals, content strategy, and design rationale both verbally and visually.
- Experience in copywriting, UX writing, or editorial planning.
- Ability to influence important senior stakeholders and facilitate discussions.
- Ability to analyze and map customer needs to the business strategy.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a group, actively network with others, and provide varying feedback to the team at the appropriate time to make decisions and reach a consensus.
- Ability to identify and communicate constraints and can work within them.
- Ability to operate and manage work, strategically reason, and build relationships and influence others.
- Knowledge of SEO, keyword research, information architecture, and usability best practices.
- Demonstrates outstanding organizational and time management skills.
We believe in paying people fairly, so we've established a compensation model that ensures everyone at Fearless — regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, age, nationality, or negotiation skills — is given equal pay for equal work.
So, what’s next?
Over the years, we’ve honed a 3-step interview process that helps ensure that every employee we hire is the right addition for us and that we’re the right fit for them. If we think you’re a good addition to the team, we’ll get in touch and start scheduling your interviews!
- Culture Add Interview - We’re a people-first company, so we always start off by getting to know more about you, how you work, what your career goals are, and what you’re passionate about. This is your opportunity to ask questions and get a feel for Fearless, so don’t be shy!
- Technical Interview - This is where we get into the nitty-gritty of the project. During the Technical Interview, you’ll be interviewed by our Passion Coaches and/or the team’s Project Lead to make sure your skills align with the project requirements.
- Business Interview - At this point, you’ve made it to the final frontier! The Business Interview is when you’ll meet with Fearless leadership to dot the i’s, cross the t’s, and determine whether or not we’ll be moving forward with the hiring process.
Our people make us who we are. We believe that every member of the Fearless team has something to share, and we value the unique viewpoint you’ll bring to our community. But we value your community, too, so we offer fulfilling work that stays in balance with the rest of your life. Because everyone has different needs, desires, and goals, our benefits offer the choices and flexibility that our team members need to live well and succeed. Here are a few highlights of our benefits package:
- Flexible schedule
- Family-friendly workplace
- 3 weeks accrued PTO + 1 week sick leave + 10 federal holidays + your birthday off
- 100% coverage of the employee-only premium for HSA, HMO, or PPO plan and Employee Wellness Plan
- Tech, education / training, and snack allowances
- Free parking in downtown Baltimore / public transit coverage
- Safe Harbor 401(k) plan with employer contributions
Fearless is a full-stack digital service firm in Baltimore that delivers sleek, modern, and user-friendly software designed to push the boundaries of possibility. It's our mission to build software with a soul — tools that empower communities and make a difference — so we can create a world where good software powers the things that matter.
That’s not our only goal, though. We also strive to create a purple culture that makes our employees excited to come to work every day. That’s why we encourage our employees to pursue their passions, both in and out of the office. With built-in company mentoring, continuing education support, flexible schedules, and a family-friendly work environment, we’ve created a culture that allows our team to thrive professionally and personally.
Fearless believes in equal opportunity employment. We won’t discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, gender, nationality, age, religion, disability, military status, or sexual orientation. As a company and as individuals, we’re committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for our team, our family members, our clients, our subcontractors, and our vendors.