The Senior Technical Writer is a member of the Computational Biology group within R&D, contributing timely and high-quality software release documentation for the computational genomic analysis that powers FMI’s diagnostic tests. The role also facilitates adherence to FMI’s software development lifecycle (SDLC), coordinating closely with members of the Quality Assurance, Regulatory, and Technology departments regarding software releases, approval chains, document templates, and compliant content. Working closely with scientists, software engineers, program managers, the role will gain an in-depth understanding of the core product and its associated documents, incorporating feedback into the documentation set with minimal supervision.
- Deliver timely validated release documentation (in accordance with International Electrotechnical Commission 62304 standards) in collaboration with scientists, software engineers, and the Quality Assurance department.
- Coordinate document reviews, incorporate feedback and gather approvals within the Change Control and Design Control processes.
- Provide high-quality document deliverables by:
- Translating technical information into clear and concise documents for technical and non-technical users;
- Ensuring consistency in and across all types of documentation;
- Formatting, editing, and verifying new and existing documents;
- Improving editorial and visual standards for documents and recommending new designs, layouts, and procedures as needed.
- Recommend improvements in the validation process, including document templates and communication with Quality Assurance and technical team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of experience developing and maintaining technical documentation
- Prior experience in the life sciences
- Prior experience with software for complex analytics (like DNA sequence analysis)
- Prior experience with Scrum/Agile methodologies with enterprise-level application development projects
- Experience being part of a Technical Writing team
- A proven track record of successfully delivering succinct and easily understandable documents under tight deadlines
- Expertise in DocuSign and Jira
- Expertise in Microsoft Word, SharePoint, and Confluence
- Strong understanding of SDLC models, including Agile principles and practices
- Adaptable to rapidly changing environments and processes
- Thorough understanding of English grammar and technical publishing best practices
- Ability to:
- work collaboratively on multiple projects with different teams
- self-organize tasks and know when to ask for help
- conduct research and ensure the use of proper technical terminology
- learn technical concepts and tools quickly
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Understanding of HIPAA and importance of privacy of patient data
- Commitment to FMI values: patients, innovation, collaboration, and passion
Please be aware that Foundation Medicine mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
About Foundation Medicine
Foundation Medicine, Inc. (FMI) began with an idea—to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
Confidence, or the belief that we need to check every box before applying for a job, can sometimes hold us back from going after a role that inspires us. At Foundation Medicine there's no such thing as the 'perfect' applicant, and our company is a place where every employee can make an impact and continue to grow whatever background they may have or path they may have taken. So, as long as you meet the basic qualifications for a role, please apply if you see a position that would make you excited to come into Foundation Medicine every day and help us transform cancer care.
Interested? Apply for this role