Gremlin’s mission is to make the Internet more reliable. We’re leading the way in the exciting, growing practice of Chaos Engineering, for enterprises like Target, Twilio and JP Morgan Chase that are building complex, distributed SaaS applications whose success depends on uptime. The Gremlin platform uncovers risks and weaknesses that aren’t addressed by traditional DevOps and IT operations processes and best practices. If paving a new path forward at the leading edge of technology sounds exciting to you, we should talk.
In this role, you will work closely with Gremlin’s fully remote staff of engineers, product managers, support engineers, and customer success professionals to understand real-world use cases for Chaos Engineering to ensure the resiliency and reliability of digital assets. You will create practical technical content that guides Gremlin customers to successfully achieve business outcomes using our solutions.
In this role, you'll get to:
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Software Engineers, Support Engineers and more to scope and define documentation projects
- Author, curate and revise product documentation that simplifies complex technical concepts for consumability by all skill levels and roles
- Research, write, and ensure the accuracy of content through current and future releases of our product
- Drive the creation and compilation of a knowledge base
- Build a company-wide culture of dynamic documentation through training programs, outreach, etc
- Analyze customer feedback to enhance content depth, quality, and relevance
- Simplify existing processes and content and be the driving force behind long term strategy and knowledge management
We'll expect you to have:
- Exceptional writing skills with focus on structure, style, and use case driven content
- 5+ years relevant experience writing technical documentation for Cloud or Enterprise products
- Proven understanding of modern software development concepts
- Ability to organize information into a coherent hierarchy
- Ability to understand new technologies and their significance to our users
- Ability to research, interview, and experiment
- Experience in SRE, DevOps, Continuous Delivery, Business Continuity, or Disaster Recovery a plus
- Experience working in Scrum/Agile development environments
*If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.*
- Competitive compensation
- 401k Match
- Stock Options
- Flexible PTO
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Team Activities (currently virtual due to Covid-19)
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As “Call Leaders,” they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin, we value:
- OUR CUSTOMERS - We won't be a company if our customers aren't thrilled. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- ACTION - We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over-analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROL - We hire autonomous adults with good judgement. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don't micromanage.
- BEING VOCALLY SELF-CRITICAL - We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that upfront and honestly discuss ways in which we've personally made mistakes and can get better. Then, we encourage and help one another succeed at doing so.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION - We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We recognize that systemic racism and gender bias are real and that we aren’t perfect, so we actively work to encourage the difficult conversations, to listen, and to change as we discover our blind spots so that Gremlin is a company all of us feel proud to be a part of.
- FRUGALITY - We are working to build a profitable company and create a new practice in the industry. We spend money on the right things, like making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful and the company has what it needs; we simply choose not to waste what we have and not to buy what we don’t actually need.
You are welcome at Gremlin for who you are. The more voices and ideas we have represented in our business, the more we will all flourish, contribute, and build a more reliable internet. Gremlin is a place where everyone can grow and is encouraged. However you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this sounds like a role that would make you excited to come into work everyday. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep building a more reliable internet by building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Learn more about how Gremlin is defining the practice of Chaos Engineering: