THIS IS A TERM APPOINTMENT - may be extended for 5 more years (up to 8 years total).
THIS IS A PUBLIC NOTICE: This Notice is issued under direct-hire authority (DHA) to recruit new talent for this occupation for which there is a severe shortage of candidates. This means that we can hire any qualified candidate, either from this notice or from any source.
NOTE: Current civil service employees will receive new appointments if selected under this Direct Hire Authority.
- Serves as a technical advisor on a plethora of issues involving systems analysis at customer agencies.
- Engages with customer agencies to perform needs analyses to support new or improved business processes, solutions, practices, products, services or strategies based on user needs.
- Research, advising, developing, and implementing information architecture, interaction design, content strategy, change management, product design, organizational design, and/or service design methodologies tailored to unique IT project needs.
- Consults with the project team and agency partners to identify creative solutions that support administrative priorities and agency practices.
- Conducts feasibility studies and trade-off analyses; supports the preparation of business cases for the application of IT solutions; assists with systems scope and objectives; supports the development of cost estimates for new or modified systems; and/or advises on information assurance policies, principles, and practices to the systems analysis process.
- Serves as an advisor on a diverse range of design disciplines, supporting project teams and agency partners through the design process to establish a shared vision for the user experience.
- Participates in government-wide working groups or communities of practice to stay abreast of best practices and new / novel ways of approaching a problem.
- Acts as a fully engaged member of the team and help the team manage expectations with their stakeholders. Provides project team and agency partners with accurate and sound technical IT advice.
Conditions of Employment
You must be a U.S. Citizen. Relevant experience and/or education (as noted on the GSA website). Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation. You may be required to serve a trial period. You must apply online via the GSA website. In order to be considered, you must meet the following conditions:
- Current or Former Political Appointees: The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C or NonCareer SES employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the HR Office. Failure to disclose this information could result in disciplinary action including removal from Federal Service.
- Meet all eligibility criteria within 30 days of the closing date.
- Register with the Selective Service if you are a male born after 12/31/1959.
- Direct Deposit of salary check to financial organization required.
- Due to COVID-19, the agency is currently in an expanded telework posture. If selected, you may be expected to temporarily telework, even if your home is located outside the local commuting area. Once employees are permitted to return to the office, you will be expected to report to the duty station listed on this announcement within 45 days. At that time, you may be eligible to request to continue to telework one or more days a pay period depending upon the terms of the agency’s telework policy.
- Serve a one-year probationary period, if required.
- Undergo and pass a background investigation (Tier 2 investigation level).
- Have your identity and work status eligibility verified if you are not a GSA employee. We will use the Department of Homeland Security’s e-Verify system for this. Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
For each job on your resume, provide:
- The exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year)
- The number of hours per week you worked (if part-time).
- If you have volunteered your service through a National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, Americorps), we encourage you to apply and include this experience on your resume.
- For a brief video on creating a Federal resume, click here.
The GS-13 salary range starts at $84,546.00 per year. Locality pay will be determined once the duty location has been established. If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at Step 1 of the grade for which you are selected.
Applicants applying for the GS-13 grade level must meet the following requirements: Have IT-related experience demonstrating EACH of the four competencies AND one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service as described below.
IT SPECIALIST COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS:
- Attention to Detail - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant keeps abreast of the latest technology, information, research, etc., to maintain knowledge in the field of expertise (for example, reads trade journals, participates in professional/technical associations, maintains credentials).
- Customer Service - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant promotes or develops and maintains good working relationships with key individuals or groups.
- Oral Communication - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant serves on panels, committees, or task forces as a representative for the organization on technical or professional issues.
- Problem Solving - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant monitors current trends or events (for example, technological, economic, political, social, educational, or employment trends or events) and applies the information as appropriate.
In addition to the IT Specialist Competency Requirements listed above, you must meet the specialized experience requirements as stated below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Specialized experience for this role is: experience planning, writing, editing, and publishing content; developing a content strategy, information architecture, or content design approaches; and participating in content or design efforts across cross-functional teams.
- This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Bargaining Unit status: TBD
- Relocation-related expenses are not approved and will be your responsibility.
- Travel expenses associated with interviews may be approved. Determinations will be made on a case-by-case basis.
- On a case-by-case basis, the following incentives may be approved:
- Recruitment incentive if you are new to the federal government.
- Credit toward vacation leave if you are new to the federal government.