Work Arrangement: As the Experience Team for a community bank, we believe that our “office” may be anywhere our customers and employees live, work and play. So while our team members may not be required to come into an office on a set schedule, we are expected to engage in purposeful, in-person collaboration and to be active participants in the M&T community and the communities we serve. This may require quarterly to monthly travel within the M&T bank footprint.
Ideally, this will be a hybrid or remote position located near an M&T Bank office location, preferably in the Buffalo, NY, New York, NY, Boston, MA, Bridgeport, CT, Baltimore, MD, or Wilmington, DE areas. Depending upon the location of the final candidate and the needs of the team the position may be remote within the M&T Bank footprint (CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT, VA or DC), with travel required as referenced above.
This role will be integral in the design of M&T's primary banker-supported digital platform. You’ll be part of our core and embedded design team focused on maturing the design and delivery of experiences for retail bankers that will directly and positively meet customer needs during banking transactions.
Our program team includes a leadership team that will drive the structure and maturing of our evolving program, a core and embedded experience design team that will help to define problems and design solutions, and multiple agile teams that will deliver those solutions.
- Maintain a consistent content strategy throughout the product experience, understand how customers interact with the Bank’s products, use data to inform decisions and build alignment between user experience and marketing content.
- Implement user-centered design methodologies throughout product discovery, design and development lifecycles.
- Observe and participate in user experience research and user testing, understand and interpret results, and advocate for clear, user-orientated messaging grounded in empathy, design thinking, and data.
- Participate in efforts to identify opportunities for ongoing enhancements using research data and metrics to inform and validate work.
- Work with Product, Business, Design, Engineering, Marketing, Compliance and Legal teams to gather information, requirements, feedback and approval on all messaging and copy.
- Understand and adhere to the Company’s risk and regulatory standards, policies, and controls in accordance with the Company’s Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
Scope of Responsibilities:
At M&T Bank, user experience (UX) is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative and visually appealing products that people love. The job holder strives to learn and understand users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to yield insights that inform product strategy and guide the design of the experiences created. The position works closely with Product Managers, Software Engineers, Marketers, and Business Stakeholders, contributing to efforts to solve complex challenges and craft powerful experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years related experience, or in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 7 years higher education and/or work experience, including a minimum of 3 years related experience
- Background in the user experience field, preferably through an online portfolio
- Experience translating complex technology, business, and design concepts into clear and engaging copy with a strong, consistent voice
- Experience with accessibility standards, cross-platform issues, mobile user interfaces and systems-thinking
- Experience using modern design, prototyping and collaboration tools
- Strong content organization skills
- Strong time-management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Minimum of a master’s degree in a related field
- Prior experience with innovative thinking, the value of good design, and experience working with stakeholders to deliver results
- Experience supporting the full product development process, from vision to launch to iteration
- Experience dealing with ambiguity and leveraging content as a means to bring clarity to abstract ideas
- Experience creating use cases, flow diagrams, prototypes, scenarios, and wireframes in the context of product development
- Proficiency in industry best practices for desktop, mobile, and web applications
- Experience interacting with various multi-disciplinary teams of professionals
- Experience working with Product Managers, Product Designers, and Product Marketers
- Experience working in the financial industry