In order to protect our employees and continue to provide safe and reliable service to our communities, as of November 14, 2021, we are requiring all new MTA hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date. MTA will consider exceptions for religious and medical reasons, where appropriate. “Fully vaccinated” means you must have both doses of a 2-dose vaccine and two weeks have elapsed since the second dose or have received 1 dose of a 1-dose vaccine and two weeks have elapsed since the dose. Proof of your vaccination status in the form of a CDC vaccine card must be submitted prior to your start date.
The Content Director owns the MTA-wide messaging strategy, establishes, and socializes current priorities, and develops and oversees communications to support priorities. The position will develop a strategy to build trust and win back riders and direct resources to deliver the information customers need, when and where they need it.
This role is just as much about leading digital transformation efforts as it is content strategy and development. The Content Director works to modernize systems and workflows to become more effective and efficient communicators.
The position manages multiple customer communications teams working on different touchpoints and timelines, including mta.info, our in-system screen network, social media, email, and SMS. The ideal candidate is comfortable directing the myriad ways the MTA needs to communicate in 2022 — from duets and GIFs to brochures and technical documents — and leads with tenacity and compassion.
- Develops MTA-wide messaging and cross-channel content strategy and oversees its implementation
- Lead digital transformation and process improvement efforts to provide more targeted, relevant information more efficiently
- Help us play offense by creating a cross-channel editorial calendar and establishing periodic messaging priorities. Work with internal teams to implement priorities across the board
- Build a 24/7 rapid response and engagement strategy, which establishes parameters around when we do and do not engage in hot topics, which social conversations and communities to proactively participate in, and the mechanism for identifying engagement opportunities and developing, approving, and publishing content quickly
- Develop and approve messaging for multiple customer touchpoints, including in-system screens, the MTA website and app, station signage, social media, and other channels
- Review content and provide staff coaching to ensure all communications align with brand guidelines and contribute to our mission
- Work with MTA product teams to identify new features and functionality required to achieve our content strategy, and collaboratively develop strategic roadmaps
- Manage multiple content teams working on multiple touchpoints and timelines
- Select, develop, and motivate personnel within the department.
- Provide career development for subordinates
- Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling
- Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary
- Review performance of staff
- Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential
This role will be charged with change management and digital transformation of systems and processes used by many teams at each agency. This requires a strong vision and an ability to achieve buy-in and motivate staff at different levels who have competing priorities
At a time when we are competing with for-hire vehicles and services, changes are seen as a major barrier to using public transit, this role is responsible for improving the perception of planned work and the MTA as a whole and building confidence in our services
Some improvements are dependent upon other strapped teams and resources, such as developers and designers. This role will need to convey the importance of content and advocate for their requests to deliver incremental improvements
- Has a high level of authority for the decision-making, staffing, and budget for their functional area of responsibility, subject to approval regarding the most significant Business and Policy issues by the Chief/Senior Management
- Has decision-making authority over their functional area. Works within clearly defined policies, principles, and specific objectives in consultation with departmental management
- Makes recommendations for policy and procedural changes with final approval from the Chief
- Overall strategy and approach are made in consultation with departmental management and/or HQ Senior Management
- Must have familiarity with human-centered communication and digital channel/content strategy principles
- Must have strong managerial skills to effectively direct a staff of professional and technical employees in implementing the short- and long-term goals and direction for the area(s) of responsibility
- Superior writing and editorial capabilities; must be able to make tough editorial decisions
- Ability to see the big picture and pay close attention to detail – thinking at both the systems-level and about how communications achieve our goals at individual customer touchpoints
- Strong analytical skills and resourceful, creative problem solving
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively under numerous deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work across levels within an organization
- Familiarity with public transportation operations is preferred
- May need to work outside of normal work hours (i.e., evenings and weekends)
- Travel may be required to other MTA locations or other external sites
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Design, Business, Transportation, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from an accredited college may be considered in lieu of a degree
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in customer experience, communications, transportation, or a related field
- A minimum of 3 years of experience managing a team
As an employee of MTA Headquarters, you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $101,379 (this figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.