NerdWallet is growing fast and so is our team. If you're interested in challenging, fast-paced and mission-driven work with people who "get" it, we want you to join us.
At NerdWallet, we help people improve their personal finances. Using clear, approachable language, we create experiences that put our users first and help make a historically-dense topic refreshingly simple, human, and interesting. This role offers an outstanding opportunity to work on projects from the ground up with highly collaborative partners who know the value of good content strategy and UX writing. You’ll be shaping the future of NerdWallet through high-impact experiences such as the home page, navigation, and membership registration — from high-level strategy through optimizing labels with A/B tests.
As a qualified candidate, you have excellent writing skills — you’re succinct, clear, engaging — and you understand how content forms the backbone of a product, app, landing page, and website. You enjoy a good challenge, whether it involves transactional flows, navigational architecture, or effective calls to action. You’re comfortable working in ambiguity in a cross-functional, matrixed organization. And you’re excited to mentor and collaborate with fellow NerdWallet content designers.
In this role you’ll partner with product designers, product managers, researchers, and other Content Designers to enhance our experiences and be responsible for decisions that drive NerdWallet forward.
Where you can make an impact:
- Influence and be involved in every aspect of product development, from discovery to fixing a comma right before launch
- Create product narratives and content frameworks that explain and justify your recommendations. Then, ensure consistency across all consumer touch points (think product names, labels and navigational elements, emails, tutorials, and notifications)
- Create and implement experiences that balance user, business, and brand needs
- Proactively share and collaborate with fellow writers to educate and ensure consistency — both in message and voice
- Carry out the NerdWallet mission by making financial terms, products, and services feel human and accessible with language that brings the brand to life, even in the smallest microcopy
- Collaborate and build relationships; seek out opportunities to connect across the company and look for how to combine, align, and amplify efforts
- Maintain and evolve our voice and tone guidelines
- Always think about product strategy and vision (not just ‘what it should say’ but ‘what we should build’)
- Strive to partner cross-functionally to build the very best product/user experiences
- Thrive in an environment of fast feedback loops and a mindset of rapid prototyping and iteration
- Understand the technical limitations behind the copy/experience and communicate your ideas to engineers
- Have experience building and shipping web and/or mobile products
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 4+ years of experience as a Content Designer / UX/Product Writer or UX/Product Content Strategist
- Ability to think big and understand complex feature sets
- A knack for distilling complicated topics into language anyone can grasp
- Passion for great user experiences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Nice to have:
- Proficiency with agile methodologies
- Experience writing about financial products
- Working knowledge of Figma
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.