As an owner of the technical publications’ design, content, and illustrations, the Technical Writer produces technical instructions, product literature and other documentation as required for product support, marketing, and management. These duties will require the writer to manage multiple complex projects from start to finish, including the development coordination as necessary to meet agreed-upon deadlines. Working effectively across many departments, they will ensure priorities are agreed upon by product manager and engineering leadership. Ultimately, the Technical Writer will ensure that details for publication activities are coordinated and executed in a timely and effective fashion.
- Write, illustrate, layout, and update manuals from draft to finish, interfacing with design and application engineers and marketing manager.
- Adhere to PLP requirements through PSE-S training to ensure the created documents meet Product Safety requirements.
- Edit and illustrate a variety of documents and train others on the use of tools to carry out similar responsibility.
- Layout, design and create templates. Complete color presentations, image processing, page layout.
- Windows Help Development: use word processing and illustrations to compile HTML Help Files in Webworks supporting ESP files developed by Applications group.
- Consult the appropriate personnel from Marketing, Applications, and Engineering to plan and design product user manuals for specific products.
- Include illustrations in manuals (both original creations and imported items from CAD and schematic programs) and detail technical instruction on all aspects of set-up and operations.
- Use latest engineering changes and input, make updates and/or corrections to manuals.
- Manage complex projects from start to finish, including file management and instructions to printers and other vendors.
- Participate in product development following the Checkpoint engineering process, interfacing with project engineers and marketing managers.
- Coordinate with other members of Marketing, Applications, and Engineering to cross-check accuracy and consistency of data and design related to technical publications.
- Maintain master files in native formats as well as PDF files for document control including document change orders (DCOs and ECOs), posting of files on Omron’s web page, online files, web files, and hard copy.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in English, Technical Writing or other relevant disciplines
- Five years of experience in creating and editing content in a technical business to business environment
- Two years working in Marketing for a manufacturing organization, with electronics preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills – in person and written – as documented by staff engagement, leadership awareness and customer satisfaction.
- Business fluency in English.
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of editing tools (e.g., Adobe, PowerPoint, Office, etc.)
- Familiar with current forms of reproductions and distribution, both hard copy and digital.
- Familiar with barcoding, bar code systems, FIS system, and Omron Delta Tau standard products and software.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and deal effectively with conflicting priorities and change.
- Strong customer focus as demonstrated by a consistent ability to fulfill commitments in a timely fashion.
- Attention to detail while skillfully managing programs and projects.
- Ability to perform deep data analysis and scenario evaluation.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret periodicals, technical procedures, marketing reports or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write effective and motivational reports, business correspondence, marketing materials and procedure manuals.
- Ability to carry out basic math functions. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to interpret and solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is often required to talk, hear at normal speaking levels, sit and use their hands and fingers to type, handle or feel, including repetitive motions with the wrists, hands and fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with arms and hands, this is a sedentary position involving sitting most of the time. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision for extensive computer use, reading and visual inspections. Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs. on an occasional basis.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.