Seattle University will be one of the most innovative and progressive Jesuit and Catholic universities in the world, educating with excellence at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels. We embrace an intersectional framework for defining diversity in its broadest sense, including differences in gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, generational history, culture, socioeconomic class, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship status, political perspectives, geographic origin and physical ability. Seattle University strives to be a welcoming, open and safe campus climate for all who learn, live and work at Seattle University.
Seattle University has an opportunity for a web content strategist to perform a comprehensive content overhaul of the SU website ecosystem as we go through a website redesign process. This position will perform all copywriting, editing and optimizing needed for migration to the new website. This role will support content audits, content inventories, gap efforts, site architecture and updating metadata, and collaborate with graphic designers, web developers, content editors and vendors to shape digital messaging and deliver exceptional digital experiences. This role articulates conversational, yet concise, prose solutions to complex web communications, across several student journeys and college programs. Integration of the SU brand is essential. The Web Content Strategist is a temporary position that is expected to last December 2023 after which other opportunities may be available including a permanent position. If you are an agile, versatile writer and digital content specialist who thrives in an entrepreneurial, collaborative environment, SU is looking for you.
- You are a digital-first writer who can balance the ingredients of voice, tone, branding, UI/UX, and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) to make memorable, human interest-centered content that drives growth and engagement.
- You are a gifted storyteller who can interview subject matter experts and dig deep into a variety of topics to uncover compelling, authentic and personable insights that translate to strong headlines and copy that flow well. You are also an idea generator who can identify what it takes to deliver both short-term and long-term results.
- You must understand the higher education student journey and be an advocate for a student-centric approach to content.
- You have a holistic view of website objectives, conveyed through compelling copy, for a high volume of web pages, including the page hierarchy, user experience, call to action (CTA), user intent and interlinking.
- You understand how your role as a digital writer plays into a larger Marketing Communications department and day-to-day marketing operations.
- You succeed in a collaborative work environment but can also proactively and independently get answers or make strategic decisions.
- Produce high-volume, clear, compelling copy on deadline that strikes the right tone and voice, and provides narrative guidance, in some cases with limited direction.
- Writes and/or edits all web content optimizing for user experience, including accuracy, readability, search engine optimization (SEO) and appropriateness for a target audience and the web medium. Provides feedback and collaborates with writers and content contributors.
- Enforces editorial style sheets, policies and procedures for web-specific content to ensure consistency in style, tone and quality of websites, in adherence with best practices.
- Assess, catalog and organize website content based on navigational flow models and high-level navigation standards.
- Integrates efforts among creative, technical and other content sources to ensure the highest quality output and user experience.
- Quickly and seamlessly manage multiple copy iterations and review rounds.
- As needed, contribute to, and help maintain, digital copywriting standards such as copy templates and best practices for webpages, social media, emails, and more.
- Account for the technical side of copy including SEO requirements, character counts, copy templates, and wireframes.
- Uses a variety of tools, including Google Analytics, heat maps, keyword relevancy tools, web quality assurance software, SEO and user data to make recommendations on new content development and promotion.
- Promote, educate and implement web accessibility guidelines.
Required Skills and Characteristics
- High-performing, high-energy self-starter, with proven ability to work both independently as well as a member of teams in an extremely fast-paced, deadline-driven, and hybrid work environment.
- Expert in SEO techniques, keyword research, content strategy, accessibility and governance practices.
- Proven writing, editing, website management, client service and interpersonal communication skills.
- Exceptional and effective writing, editing and message development skills that emphasize clear construction, grammar and relevance.
- Familiarity with Associated Press Style Guide.
- Familiarity with branding and marketing communications, with an understanding of editorial considerations for publishing to the web.
- Experience working within Content Management Systems (Terminal 4, Cascade, Drupal, WordPress etc.)
- Ability to write in clear, compelling language specific to various channels, even when the subject matter is complex.
- Experience with short-form (ad copy, infographics, interactive experiences) and long-form (content marketing, thought leadership).
- Ability to generate multiple ideas and inspire creative excellence in colleagues.
- Experience working on integrated marketing campaigns across multiple channels.
- Experience working as part of a web team with large cross-functional units and internal groups.
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to influence key individuals and teams internally.
- Ability to build respect and credibility with colleagues and campus partners.
- Bachelor’s degree in a web-related ecosystem, journalism, communications, English, or marketing.
- A minimum of 7-10 years of experience in writing for web and digital marketing copy, with at least 3 of those years including high-volume copywriting for site revamps, migrations or content refreshes.
- Awareness of industry trends and techniques to keep SU at forefront of digital innovation.
- Experience writing creatively, while also complying with university standards and the university’s official Editorial Style Guide (similar to AP Style rules.) Proficiency in UI/UX, error states and UX writing and SEO best practices for copywriting.
- High proficiency in collaborative tools such as SharePoint, Google Docs, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, CMS and project management platforms.
- Higher education experience preferred.
Please attach a cover letter with your resume when applying. Job postings are open until filled unless otherwise specified.
Compensation at a Glance:
Seattle University has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, and not based on a candidate’s gender or any other protected status.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. Seattle University provides generous leave, health plans, and retirement contributions that add to your total compensation package.
Benefits at a Glance
Consistent with its fundamental Jesuit values, Seattle University offers a wide range of benefits designed to care for the whole person. Choose from three different medical plans, dental, and vision insurance programs. Protect your income with life, short & long-term disability coverage. Plan for your future with up to a 10% employer contribution for retirement benefits, comprised of a 5% nonelective employer contribution and an additional dollar-for-dollar match of your voluntary contributions up to a maximum of 5%. You may also take advantage of 100% paid tuition benefits for the employee and dependents, a subsidized transportation benefit, a wellness program with free access to an onsite fitness facility, and a wide variety of campus events. Enjoy a generous holiday schedule, including a paid Holiday break closure in December, vacation and paid sick leave, and paid community service leave. For more information explore the Benefits website at: https://www.seattleu.edu/hr/benefits/