WHO WE ARE:
The Information Technology (IT) Division lays the foundation for TRS to deliver excellent service experiences across the organization and with our members. We serve with purpose through mentorship and collaboration across a diverse team unified by innovation to create technology and information solutions that have a positive impact on our members’ lives.
We invite you to join one of Austin’s Top Workplaces. TRS offers a best-in-class combination of technology and continuous learning opportunities to equip you to solve problems, expand your knowledge, and create an impact for 1 in 20 Texans.
The Technical Writer/Technical Writer Senior in IT Business Administration prepares written information related to TRS systems and processes. Works closely with subject matter experts to identify needs, gather information, and determine the needed subject matter for publication to be used by technical and non-technical personnel across the organization. This position proactively works with IT management, IT staff, and TRS staff. This position reports to the Senior Director, Business Relationship Management.
Information Gathering & Planning
- Liaises with department heads and end users to define and identify business procedures and establish documentation needs.
- Collaborates with systems and development staff to collect and interpret technical information.
- Translates complex product information into simple, polished, and engaging content.
- Obtains a deep understanding of products and services and translates complex product information into simple, polished, and engaging content. (For Technical Writer Senior role)
- Assesses the audience needs for whom the technical and procedural documentation is intended and adjusts tone and technical terms used to meet those needs and to ensure understanding.
- Plans documentation layout, graphical elements, and formatting to ensure final documents are usable and of high quality.
- Researches and evaluates new documentation tools and methods in support of documentation improvement efforts.
Technical Writing and Editing
- Researches, outlines, writes, and edits new and existing content, working closely with various departments to understand project requirements.
- Writes, proofreads, and edits a range of documents, including user guides and manuals, technical specifications, training materials, policies, and procedures.
- Plans, designs, writes, proofreads, and edits a range of documents, including user guides and manuals, technical specifications, training materials, policies, and procedures. (For Technical Writer Senior role)
- Independently gathers information from subject matter experts to develop, organize, and write procedure manuals, technical specifications, and process documentation.
- Works with development and support leads to identify all documentation repositories, revise and edit, and determine the best solution for data compilation and centralized storage.
- Creates diagrams, charts, and other visual aids to assist readers in understanding a product or process.
- Maintains a process for managing all product-related technical literature, to maximize efficiency.
- Establishes, communicates, and maintains documentation standards, and provides training where required.
- Maintains currency and accuracy of all documentation.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Education and experience may substitute for one another.
Required Experience (Technical Writer)
- • Four (4) years of full-time technical writing and editing experience.
Required Experience(Technical Writer Senior)
- • Six (6) years of full-time technical writing and editing experience, with specific experience in documenting information technology software and systems or related fields.
Required Registration, Certification, or Licensure
- Certified Professional Technical Communicator (CPTC)
- Specific experience in documenting information technology software and systems or related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Information technology concepts and terminology
- Desktop Publishing Tools, Microsoft Office Suite, SharePoint, or Confluence
- Exceptional verbal and written communication of complex information.
- Interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening and interviewing skills.
- Using a computer in a Windows environment with word processing, spreadsheet, database, and other business software.
- Planning, organizing, and prioritizing work assignments to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Completing detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Absorb and retain information quickly, specifically complex technical information.
- Conduct research into a wide range of technical concepts as required.
- Demonstrate organizational abilities with strong attention to detail.
- Analyze the target audience and present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Use relevant information and individual judgment to determine if processes comply with regulations or standards.
- Effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
- Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
- Work independently and meet deadlines.
- Thrive in an environment driven by change and improvement.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
To view all job vacancies, visit www.trs.texas.gov/careers or www.trs.csod.com/careersite.
For more information, visit www.trs.texas.gov.