The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer, Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes which named Penn one of America’s Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and a wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Reporting to the Sr. Director of Brand Strategy & Content, the Content Director is responsible for the strategic development of Wharton MarComm’s content planning, including the distribution of multimedia content, alignment with Wharton’s school-wide priorities, and project coordination processes within the Content & Creative team. Providing leadership and direction to both internal and vendor resources, the role oversees the production of a department-wide content calendar, video & podcast scripting, talent scheduling, budgeting, and managing partner relationships. Serving as project manager for all content requests, the Content Director will work closely with the Sr. Director of Marketing Operations to ensure content projects remain on task, exceed partner satisfaction and align with our strategic initiatives. The Content Director should also possess a broad knowledge of project management tools and process improvement techniques to optimize content production resources.
- Leads weekly editorial meetings to gather information, output content and ensure its proper distribution. Collaborates with Marketing and Communications interdepartmental teams to ensure all projects are captured in our internal project management system. Defines scope and roadmap for project delivery identifying key players and stakeholders, and working with the appropriate parties to develop a timeline toward deliverables. Surfaces and addresses interdependencies between new initiatives and other ongoing projects. Proposes and helps organize sharing across C&C and MarComm teams.
- Directs the development of Knowledge at Wharton weekly podcast series. Responsible for researching related subjects and faculty, managing talent engagement, developing an editorial calendar, creating show rundowns, overseeing production schedules and vendor staff, and distributing content to the appropriate platforms. Manages all aspects of episode production, including remote and in-studio interview recordings. Collaborates with KatW Editor-in-Chief, show host, and faculty to steer strategic initiatives and align desired outcomes, writing and editing scripts and acting as the main liaison for all KatW podcast productions. Selects and oversees vendors assigned to produce podcast content. Develops and oversees the KatW podcast budget. Applies experience, knowledge of best practices, and expert communication abilities to elevate Wharton’s research impact through multimedia deliverables.
- Spearheads annual planning meeting with Wharton’s Marketing & Technology department to develop strategies around the dissemination of key multimedia content; and in collaboration with Wharton’s Digital Marketing Manager, translates metrics into action steps to improve marketing effectiveness of produced content; including interpreting data from diverse sources to recommend a course of action and improve marketing outcomes.
- Actively collaborates with Wharton’s social team on content calendar creation and facilitates the coordination of multimedia content outputs to increase the visibility of the Wharton brand and further elevate the School’s initiatives.
- Manages the coordination of schoolwide content updates on MarComm-owned sites. And in coordination with Wharton’s Creative Director, ensure all content and multimedia projects (including the KatW podcast) are in line with Wharton’s brand guidelines.
- Develops and fosters relationships with internal and external partners to deliver content in support of the School’s initiatives and business activities. Applies strong interpersonal skills and expertise in consulting with our diverse partner groups. Ensures the overall quality of multimedia deliverables and applies extensive knowledge of industry trends and market climates to identify opportunities and recommend effective and innovative deliverables.
- Supervise and manage Sr. Content Producer (direct report); Select, supervise, and manage freelance writing support when needed. Provide direction and oversight for all written content and foster a space for collaboration and innovation.
- Ensure integration of multimedia content across marketing channels and platforms. Work with internal and external business partners to determine business requirements and resources necessary to complete projects on time and within budget.
- Responsible for maintaining a high level of multimedia platform expertise, staying abreast of current and developing trends in the digital space through professional reading, attending industry conferences and participating in professional development activities. Support department hosted institutional events such as Wharton's five graduation ceremonies, MBA Convocation, Speaker Series, etc. All other duties as assigned.
- Degree and 5-7+ years of experience in marketing, journalism, advertising, or related fields
- At least two to three years of experience in podcasting or radio
- Strong writing and storytelling skills, including proven ability to edit and proofread; generate story ideas, and conduct interviews.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to collaborate, multi-task and prioritize.
- Possesses strong leadership and supervisory skills, including assigning work, setting direction, and using a strengths-based approach to feedback.
- Ability to collaborate and solve problems quickly in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience with strategic brainstorming, show rundown development, and production execution.
- Knowledgeable of current and emerging digital and social media technologies, platforms, and services, as well as traditional media.
- Thorough understanding and practice with contemporary marketing approaches, including content marketing, social media, and digital storytelling.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills across all levels of seniority.
- Excellent decision-making skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Must be self-driven with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be a relationship builder with the ability to build and maintain those relationships – across Departments, Schools, Universities and externally with vendors, agencies, etc.
- Hardworking, flexible, and a team player
- Ability to maintain confidence
- Some travel domestically and internationally is required, as needed
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends
Hybrid Eligible - This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely.
Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
A background check is required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, and spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting a balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve the use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay