Note: Undergraduate or advanced degree (PhD) in the life sciences or related scientific field is preferred for this position. Career experience working with highly technical or scientific web content is also preferred. Strong writing and editing skills are required. The role is on a freelance basis, full-time or part-time for five months, with the possibility of extension.
We’re looking for a web content editor to help with digital content management for an enterprise-level life sciences e-commerce client. The digital content manager (DCM) will help provide content strategy, content management, and content governance expertise to our client.
This role helps ensure that our client's scientific web content follows established, practical, and optimized processes during development and web-publishing workflows.
The DCM will help guide content creation so it ultimately provides the best in information architecture (IA), editorial and brand style, user experience (UX), web design, and strategy.
The DCM must build strong, collaborative partnerships with internal partners, function as a website authority for marketers and web teams, and be an advocate for the customer experience.
The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator, meticulous about accuracy, process driven, and has the desire to work as part of a team constantly being asked to stretch and expand its capacity and capabilities.
Digital content creation and maintenance
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Drive content strategy for web content projects, including giving advice on the location of new marketing pages within the site hierarchy
- Provide subject matter expertise in life science fields, including a strong understanding of applications and techniques used in laboratory settings
- Ensure digital content is accurate, consistent, and complete, and adheres to digital, editorial, SEO, and brand standards
- Review, edit, and align marketing, educational, product, support, and search content for campaigns, new product introductions, integration projects, and routine requests
- Provide practical guidance and support with tools for optimizing web content for search engines (SEO)
- Author or edit web content directly in content management systems, and troubleshoot content display issues with web team partners
- Proactively engage with teams across the business to support content optimization, clean-up, and maintenance
- Analyze and address internal and external customer feedback, and participate in voice-of-customer studies and content optimization projects to improve the performance of digital content
Digital content process management and optimization
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Document and train on digital content and web development processes
- Establish effective standards and guidelines across the web process workflow and ensure consistent use by content contributors
- Pick up, coordinate, and prioritize projects in established tracking systems
- Partner with colleagues on content aspects of new and optimized page designs and A/B testing
- Analyze content performance and web feedback, and use those data to reevaluate and optimize digital content strategies, web content guidelines, and optimal content management practices
- Advanced degree or equivalent level of work experience in a scientific, communications, marketing, or digital content career
- 3+ years writing or editing scientific and/or technical marketing content, plus developing that content for websites via one or more global web content management systems (CMS)
- Experience with SEO and basic web analytics is strongly preferred
- Laboratory experience is a plus
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Outstanding writing and proofreading skills, plus a thorough knowledge of the English language (grammar, spelling, punctuation, audience sensitivity) and scientific content types
- Understanding web processes and systems such as UX, IA, Adobe AEM/CQ5, QAT
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, project and time-management skills
- Strong relationship-building, verbal communication, and presentation skills
- Keen attention to detail and high regard for quality and accuracy
- Highly motivated with a desire and ability to drive improvements
- Ability to lead and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to support a diverse, global audience of content contributors, including flexibility to accommodate schedules in other time zones (ie. Europe, Asia)